Whenever I think of Valentine’s Day I think of chocolate covered strawberries so I decided to make a cupcake based around this and voila!
The cupcake is chocolate flavoured and the buttercream is strawberry flavoured and of course it is decorated with a chocolate strawberry.
I thought these would be super easy to make in time for Valentine’s Day whether you would like to share them with your partner, friends or work colleagues.
I personally shared them with my colleagues and they absolutely loved them.
For the cupcake, I used Light Brown Sugar you can use Caster Sugar if you would prefer I just find the brown sugar gives it more of a caramelly taste which works well with chocolate cake.
For the buttercream, I used Strawberry flavouring and pink food colouring.
You could of course switch it round and have strawberry cupcakes and chocolate buttercream. If you would prefer to do this just don’t use the cocoa powder in the cupcakes and swap the light brown sugar for caster sugar and add 1tbsp of strawberry flavouring.
The Sprinkles I used on these cupcakes are Twinkle Sprinkle by Sweetapolita you can buy them here. These aren’t necessarily Valentines themed sprinkles but I thought they looked really pretty on these cupcakes and went well with the pink buttercream.
For the buttercream use 465g of icing sugar 35g of cocoa powder, 250g of unsalted butter and a teaspoon or two of milk to make it super creamy. If you have any questions you can send me an email at email@example.com or leave me a comment below.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
For the Chocolate Covered Strawberries
200g Dark Chocolate
For the Cupcakes
145g Unsalted Butter/Stork
145g Light Brown Sugar
145g Self-Raising Flour
35g Cocoa Powder
3 Medium Eggs
1tsp Baking Powder
For the Buttercream
500g Icing Sugar
250g Unsalted Butter
2tsp Strawberry Flavouring
Pink Food Colouring
To make the Chocolate covered Strawberries
- Cover a flat oven tray with greaseproof paper and leave to one side.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a microwave on 20-second bursts, stirring in between until completely melted. If you don’t have a microwave you can place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, and put over a pot of simmering water until completely melted.
- Wash the Strawberries and when the chocolate has melted dip the strawberries into the chocolate until they are completely covered put them on the oven tray from earlier and pop them into the fridge.
To make the Cupcakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C Fan (170C). Line a cupcake/muffin tray with cupcake liners and leave to one side.
- In a bowl mix together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add in the flour, cocoa powder, eggs and baking powder and mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they are completely cooked. You will know this because the top of the cupcake will spring back when touched or a skewer inserted into the middle of the cupcake will come out clean.
- Leave to one side to cool.
To make the Buttercream
- While the cupcakes are cooling you can make the buttercream. In a bowl mix together the icing sugar and butter until combined. Add in the strawberry flavouring and pink food colouring.
- If the mixture is quite thick you can add a teaspoon of milk to the buttercream until it is your desired consistency.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the top of the cupcake. I use a Wilton 1M piping tip.
- Decorate with some sprinkles and your chocolate strawberries from earlier.
Light Brown Sugar – I use Billingtons
Unsalted Butter/Stork – I use Stork in my cupcake batter and a block of unsalted butter, usually a supermarket own brand. You can use Stork in your buttercream if you would prefer but I tend to think that it makes the buttercream too soft.
Self-Rasing Flour – I use a supermarket own brand.
Cocoa Powder – I use a supermarket own brand.
Baking Powder – I use Dr Oetker
Icing Sugar – I use Silver Spoon.
Unsalted Butter – I used a supermarket own brand.
Strawberry Flavouring – I use a supermarket own brand
Food Colouring – I use pro gel which you can find here
Sprinkles – I couldn’t possibly forget the sprinkles I used these ones from Sweetapolita
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you make it please tag aspoonfulofvanilla on Instagram so I can see them. You can find me on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. Also you can leave me a comment at the bottom of this page and let me know what you think of this recipe.