This recipe is a bit different from all my usual and that is because it is Vegan!
I, myself am not Vegan but I have friends and colleagues that are and I always feel bad that they can’t enjoy a delicious treat along with everyone else.
I had really hoped to have these ready in time for Veganuary but as you can tell because I am posting them just now and now last month they weren’t ready.
I wanted to keep them as close to an original brownie as possible and I wanted them to be light, fudgy and chewing like a brownie made with eggs.
If I were to make a brownie using eggs I would whip the eggs until the were almost double in size which makes the brownies thick and delicious, but fo these brownies I couldn’t use eggs.
I’ve been working out the measurements of each ingredient to make sure that the brownies are still as thick, fudgy and chewy as the brownies I would make using egg and I think I finally succeeded.
I had some disasters with these brownies, I baked them using a 24cm square spring form cake tin. When I took them out the oven the spring popped open and the brownies fell out! I was gutted I have made them so many times in the same cake tin and it has never done that.
But, there was some good news I managed to salvage some of the brownies, not all of them landed on the floor (wooo!)
The brownies I have taken pictures of are the ones that I had the disaster with when the tin burst open, the brownies spread so they are a little thinner than I had hoped they would be. If you make them following this recipe they should be a lot thicker.
I used Dark Chocolate in this recipe. You can use either vegan dark chocolate or good quality dark chocolate that doesn’t include any milk of cocoa butter.
These brownies will last for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
This recipe makes 12-16 brownies depending on how large you cut them.
300g Good Quality Dark Chocolate or Vegan Chocolate
150g Vegetable Oil
2tbsp Golden Syrup
200g Dark Chocolate
200g Self-Raising Flour
75g Cocoa Powder
200g Light Brown Sugar
75ml Almond/Coconut/Soya Milk
1tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 200C (180C Fan) and grease and line a 24cm square cake tin.
- Add the 300g of chocolate and golden syrup to a bowl and melt in the microwave. I put mine in the microwave on 20 second bursts until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Leave the chocolate to one side to cool. Chop the 200g of dark chocolate into small chunks and in another bowl add the chocolate, flour, cocoa, sugar. Mix so all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the chocolate mixture, milk and vanilla to the dry ingredient and mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes. The brownies should look set and a skewer interested into the centre has moist crumbs attached.
Dark Chocolate – I use a good quality dark chocolate.
Vegetable Oil – I used this in replace of butter and I used a supermarket own brand.
Golden Syrup – I used Lyles Golden Syrup
Self-Raising Flour – I used a supermarket own brand
Cocoa Powder – I used a supermarket own brand
Almond Milk – Again I used a supermarket own brand
Vanilla Extract – I used Neilson Massey
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you make it please tag aspoonfulofvanilla on Instagram so I can see them. You can find me on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. Also you can leave me a comment at the bottom of this page and let me know what you think of this recipe.