Oh hi welcome back for another delicious Easter recipe. This week the recipe is for these Crème Egg Cupcakes.
I know I have only just shared my recipe for my Crème Egg stuffed cookies, but you can’t have Easter without Crème Eggs!
These are chocolate cupcakes, chocolate buttercream with a hidden Crème Egg centre and a Crème Egg on top.
I made these for my partners work so unfortunately, I don’t have a picture of the inside because I couldn’t send them to his work with one cut in half.
To make these cupcakes I used supermarket own, self-raising flour, cocoa powder, butter. I use Silver Spoon Sugar and Icing Sugar, Neilson Massey Vanilla Extract, Dr Oetker Baking Powder and of course Cadbury Crème Eggs and Wilton Gold Sprinkles.
I know at the minute everything is a bit uncertain and stressful but I have had a few people ask why I am still posting recipes at a time when people are panic buying and supermarkets are empty. The reason I am still posting is that I find baking to be so calming and relaxing. I don’t think about anything that is going on in the outside world when I am baking.
Also, if you have children then baking can be a fun distraction one day. So if you are self-isolating or running out of ideas to keep the kids entertained. It is also delicious. If you have ingredients in your cupboard or are able to get some ingredients, then why not spend an afternoon having fun in the kitchen.
So for that reason, I have decided to continue posting one recipe per week for the foreseeable future.
To make this recipe you first need to cream the butter and sugar together first and then added in the remaining ingredients. I used Baking Cups from Iced Jems. They are slightly larger than normal cupcake cases, so if you have extra cake batter left then you can make extra cupcakes! To make sure I have the same amount in each cupcake case I use an ice cream scoop.
Once I have scooped all the half the cupcake mixture into the cases I then add a Mini Crème Egg to the centre and then cover with the remaining mixture.
Creme Egg Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 12 Mini Creme Eggs
- 145 g Unsalted Butter or Stork
- 145 g Light Brown Sugar
- 125 g Self-Raising Flour
- 40 g Cocoa Powder
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
For the Buttercream
- 475 g Icing Sugar
- 25 g Cocoa Powder
- 250 g Unsalted Butter
- 6 Creme Eggs
- 1. Put your 12 Mini Eggs in the freezer preferable overnight but for at least 4 hours.
To Make the Cupcakes
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160 Fan. Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and leave to one side.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- 3. Add in the flour, cocoa powder, eggs, vanilla, baking powder and whisk until all combined.
- 4. Spoon half the mixture into the cupcake cases, put a mini crème egg into the centre of each cupcake cases then cover it with the remaining cupcake batter.
- 5. Bake them in the oven for 17-22 minutes. You will know the cupcakes are ready when they are springy to touch.
To Make the Buttercream
- 1. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the buttercream.
- 2. In a large bowl mix the icing sugar, cocoa powder, and butter. If the mixture is too thick you can add a teaspoon of milk or water to the mixture to loosen it slightly.
- 3. Spoon the mixture into your piping bag and pipe swirls on top.
- 4. Cut your larger Crème Eggs in half and place on half on top of your cupcakes. Finish with some sprinkles.
If you make any of my recipes use #aspoonfulofvanilla on social media so I can see all the deliciousness! If you have any recipe suggestions or any comments good and bad about this post and others on my blog, then you can either leave them in the comments section below. You can also find me on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest or you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*I have used affiliated links in this post.