Oh hi there, welcome to another blog post. This week it is for my M&M Cupcakes.
I made these quite a while ago for my partners work and just haven’t gotten around to sharing them, sorry! Until now.
These are chocolate cupcakes, with a hidden M&M centre, chocolate M&M buttercream and decorated of course with M&Ms. You could also, if you are able to get a hold of M&M spread make an M&M cream centre. I will post the recipe for this in the recipe along side if you would prefer to make this for the centre.
The chocolate cupcakes are similar to my Chocolate Overload Cupcakes and my Strawberry and Chocolate Cupcakes just a smaller quantity as I find the smaller quantity fits perfectly into the cupcake cases.
I mix together the butter and sugar together and then add the rest of the ingredients. I baked in the oven for 15-20 minutes normally mine take around 17-18 minutes but different ovens will bake them at different temperatures. You will know they are baked because they will spring back when touched or a clean skewer will come out completely clean.
Once they have cooled completely I removed the centre of the cupcake and stuffed them full of M&Ms. I use a cupcake corer to do this but if you don’t have one you could just use and knife to remove the centres (please just be careful not to cut yourself)
The Baking Cups I use I get from Iced Jems they come in so many different colours and designs and are so cute. I also got my large round nozzle from Iced Jems too. Normally I would use a Wilton 1M Piping Tip but I wanted to create a little well to sit my M&Ms in.
For the buttercream I used M&M spread which you can normally get in the jam and spread aisle of your local supermarket. I mixed it with icing sugar and butter of course. The reason I used a large round nozzle was because the M&M spread has mini crispy M&Ms so any other nozzle they would likely get stuck and you wouldn’t be able to pipe the buttercream.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
145g Unsalted Butter or Stork
145g Light Brown Sugar
125g Self-Raising Flour
40g Cocoa Powder
3 Large Eggs
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1tsp Baking Powder
For the M&M Filling
Or For the Creamy M&M Filling
200ml Double Cream
200g M&M Spread
For the Buttercream
500g Icing Sugar
250g Unsalted Butter
200g M&M Spread
To Make the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160 Fan. Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and leave to one side.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder, eggs, vanilla, baking powder and whisk until all combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases. Bake them in the oven for 15-20 minutes. You will know the cupcakes are ready when they are springy to touch.
- Once the cupcakes are cool remove the centre and fill them up with M&Ms.
If you want to make the creamy M&M Filling
- Whip the double cream until it reaches stiff peaks.
- Put the M&M Spread into a separate bowl and melt in the microwave. It should only need around 10 seconds until it is soft.
- Mix the spread and double cream together.
- Add the mixture into the centre of the cupcakes.
To Make the Buttercream
- In a large bowl mix the icing sugar, M&M Spread and butter. If the mixture is too thick you can add a teaspoon of milk or water to the mixture to loosen it slightly.
- Spoon the mixture into your piping bag and pipe swirls on top.
- Decorate with more M&Ms.
If you make any of my recipes use #aspoonfulofvanilla on social media so I can see all the deliciousness! If you have any recipe suggestions or any comments good and bad about this post and others on my blog, then you can either leave them in the comments section below. You can also find me on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest or you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*I have used affiliated links in this post.