This is another epic Easter recipe. This Mini Egg Millionaire Shortbread has a homemade Mini Egg Shortbread base, a thick delicious caramel and is topped with milk chocolate, Mini Eggs and of course Sprinkles.
Millionaire Shortbread is super easy to make and you only need three ingredients, four if you include the mini eggs.
To make the shortbread mix together all the ingredients until it forms a dough. I added the mini eggs whole but if you prefer you could crush them using the side of a knife or a pestle and mortar.
Press the dough into the base of your lined tin. I use a spring form tin as I find it easiest to get the finished bake out. If you don’t you could use a loose-bottomed tin. If you don’t have either just ensure your parchment paper is slightly larger than your cake tin so it overhangs. It will make it so much easier to get the shortbread out.
Bake the shortbread in the oven until it is golden brown. Once it is baked leave it in the tin and make the caramel.
For the caramel I would recommend making your own. The recipe makes a thick caramel that will set. You don’t want to use a caramel such as carnations caramel it is far too gloopy and won’t set. As soon as you cut into it, it will sploge out of the sides and create a big mess. So please, please, please make your own caramel.
Add all of the ingredients to a saucepan and heat on a low heat stirring continuously until the butter has completely melted and all the sugar has dissolved. You will know the sugar has dissolved when the mixture doesn’t feel grainy.
Turn the heat up to medium and stir continulosyu. When the mixture starts to boil start a timer. There isn’t a specific time or temperature when your caramel is ready. You want it to be thick and gloopy and caramel in colour. I normally boil mine for between 5 and 8 minutes.
Pour the caramel on top of your shortbread and pop it into the fridge to set.
What are the dark flecks in my caramel?
The flecks are just bits of caramel that have caught. They won’t affect the taste of your caramel.
I would recommend turning the heat down and using a spatula to continuously stir the mixture to stop it from catching.
In a heatproof bowl add your chocolate and melt in the microwave on 20 second bursts, stirring in between until completely melted.
Pour over the caramel and add your mini eggs. I added whole mini eggs and crushed mini eggs on top.
I of course, finished with some sprinkles. Pop it back into the fridge until the chocolate has set completely.
Once the chocolate has set you can cut it into individual portions.
You don’t have to add the mini eggs to the shortbread base if you don’t want too.
You can make this using any of your favourite chocolates.
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy any of these products. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting A Spoonful of Vanilla.
Pin it For Later!
Mini Egg Millionaire Shortbread
For the Shortbread
- 325 g Plain Flour
- 225 g Unsalted Butter
- 125 g Caster Sugar
- 100 g Mini Eggs
For the Caramel
- 397 g Condensed Milk (one tin)
- 50 g Caster Sugar
- 75 g Golden Syrup
- 225 g Unsalted Butter
For the Decoration
- 350 g Milk Chocolate
- Mini Eggs
To Make the Shortbread
- Line a 9” square cake tin with non-stick baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180C (160C Fan).
- Add the butter and sugar flour and mini eggs to a bowl and mix until it forms a soft dough.
- Press the dough into the bottom of your lined tin until it is flat and even.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to one side.
To Make the Caramel
- To make the caramel put the condensed milk, sugar, golden syrup and butter into a large pan over a low heat.
- Stir continually until the sugar has dissolve and the butter has melted. Turn the heat up to medium and boil until the caramel has thickened and darkened in colour. Stir continuously to ensure the caramel doesn’t burn.
- Once the caramel is nice and thick it should take between 5-8 minutes pour it over the top of your shortbread biscuit and leave to cool.
- Put it in the fridge until the caramel had cooled and set.
- Add the chocolate to a heatproof bowl and melt in 20 second bursts stirring in between until it is smooth and completely melted.
- Pour it over your caramel.
- Decorate with Mini Eggs and Sprinkles.
- Pop your shortbread back in the fridge until the chocolate has set.
- Once the chocolate has set remove the millionaire shortbread from the cake tin and cut into individual slices.
If you do have any questions about this Mini Egg Millionaire Shortbread or any other recipes on my blog you can contact me either by sending me a DM on social media or an email. You can find all my details on the right-hand side of this page.