I don’t know about you but Kinder Buenos are one of my all time favourite sweets; the crispy wafer, the hazelnut filling and the chocolate. YUM! So of course I had to make these into cupcakes. These Kinder Bueno Cupcakes have a chocolate cupcake, white chocolate hazelnut buttercream, a Kinder chocolate drizzle and are topped by of course, a Kinder Bueno.
If you haven’t tried White Hazelnut Spread before where have you been?!!! I bought it in my local supermarket and it tastes exactly like the filling in Kinder Buenos it is insanely good. So I decided instead of using this in the centre of my cupcakes I would create a buttercream with it and oh my gosh! You need to try it (the cupcakes and the spread!)
Before You Start Baking
Before you start baking you need to preheat your oven. This is such an important step and ensures that the cupcakes bake correctly and you don’t end up with them burning on the outside and raw on the inside or just completely raw.
Also, add your cupcake cases to your muffin tray. This will save you doing it when your cupcake batter is ready so you can just fill the cases and pop them straight into the oven. I used these Baking Cups from Iced Jems. They are flat-bottomed and hold their shape when they bake so I just use a flat oven tray.
Finally, if you are using Unsalted Butter you need to take it out the fridge to come to room temperature. If you are using a baking spread like Stork I don’t tend to bother, but you need to use unsalted butter in your buttercream so you want it to be soft so you can mix it into your icing sugar.
Kinder Bueno Cupcakes
To start, cream together the butter and sugar; in this recipe I used light brown sugar because I think it gives the cupcakes a lovely caramelly taste. If you prefer you can replace this for caster sugar.
Next add in the remaining ingredients and mix until they are combined. You don’t need to mix these for too long just until they are smooth and combined.
Spoon the mixture into your cupcake cases. I use an Ice Cream Scoop just because I find it easier to ensure each case has the same amount of cupcake batter.
Pop the cupcakes into your preheated oven.
How Do I Know When the Cupcakes Are Baked?
This can be tricky especially with chocolate cupcakes as you can’t see if they are golden brown like you would with vanilla cupcakes.
I find the easiest way to tell if they are done it by using a cake tester. If you test the thickest part of the cupcake and it comes out clean then they are ready. If there is still some cake batter on there then put them back into the oven for 3-4 minutes and repeat until the tester comes out clean.
You could also gently press the top of the cupcake with your finger. If it springs back it is ready. If not then pop them back into the oven for 3-4 minutes and repeat until they spring back.
Leave the cupcakes to cool fully in the tin.
White Hazelnut Buttercream
Once the cupcakes have cooled completely make the buttercream. I mixed together the butter, icing sugar and hazelnut spread. If it is quite thick you can add a teaspoon of milk one at a time mixing in between until the buttercream is the desired consistency.
It can be quite hard to tell when the buttercream is the correct consistency and everyone will have different answers. I prefer mine to be thick enough to hold its shape but not too thick that I won’t be able to get it out the piping bag.
Once you have added the buttercream onto your cupcakes put them to one side to make the Kinder drizzle.
Kinder Chocolate Drizzle
Add the Kinder Chocolate to a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave on 30-second bursts stirring in between until it is completely smooth.
Put it into a piping bag with a small round nozzle or if you are using disposable piping bags you can just snip the end of the bag off.
Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the cupcakes.
Finally cup one Kinder Bueno bar in half and add to the top.
If you don’t want to use the White Chocolate Hazelnut Spread you could use Nutella instead.
You can use caster sugar instead of light brown sugar too if you prefer.
All the decorations are completely optional so if you don’t fancy a Kinder Chocolate Drizzle then you can just leave this off.
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy any of these products. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting A Spoonful of Vanilla.
Pin It For Later!
Kinder Bueno Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 145 g Unsalted Butter or Stork
- 145 g Light Brown Sugar
- 120 g Self-Raising Flour
- 25 g Cocoa Powder
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Buttercream
- 400 g Icing Sugar
- 200 g Unsalted Butter
- 200 g White Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 3-4 tsp Whole Milk
For the Chocolate Drizzle
- 100 g Kinder Chocolate
For the Decoration
- 3 Kinder Bueno Bars
To Make the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160 Fan. Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners and leave to one side.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder, eggs, baking powder and vanilla and whisk until all combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake liners. I use a small ice cream scoop to do this so I know that they are all even.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. You will know the cupcakes are ready when they are golden brown and springy to touch.
To Make the Buttercream
- In a bowl add the icing sugar and butter and mix until it is combined. Add in the White Chocolate Hazelnut Spread and mix again. If you find the buttercream is too thick add 1tbsp of milk and mix again. Repeat until the buttercream is the perfect consistency.
- Add the buttercream to your piping bag and pipe onto the top of the cupcakes.
To Make the Chocolate Drizzle
- Add the chocolate to a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between until it is completely melted and smooth.
- Put the chocolate into a piping bag with a small round nozzle or if you are using disposable piping bags snip the end off.
- Drizzle over the top of cupcakes.
- Cut the Kinder Buenos in half and add too the top of your cupcakes.
If you do have any questions about these Kinder Bueno Cupcakes or any other recipes on my blog you can contact me either by sending me a DM on social media or an email. You can find all my details on the right-hand side of this page.